Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Lena's classmates

Today, we had alot more fun at our visit. For potential adoptive parents, my #1 recommendation is to take games that are easy to travel with. The first few days were awkward and quiet with me trying to come up with 50 questions (we had more than enough time to exceed 20) to ask Lena or things to tell her. Even though we already know her it was still getting boring for all of us to just sit and talk for that long. She is after all a teenager and Brianne almost is! It was hard for Brianne to just sit too. Today, we took Old Maid and a regular deck of cards. Trent quickly taught them how to play BlackJack and 5 card draw. Then we played Old Maid and concentration. NONE of them have poker faces. It was quite funny. We played cards for over an hour and when the teacher came to get them for lunch at 2, the girls asked us to stay while they ate and play some more after lunch which we did even though our stomachs were hungry. We end up eating between 1 and 3 over here, unless there's paperwork to do, then you may not eat til nighttime. But it was a great feeling to have them ask us to stay. We say that they have their own Ukrainian rules b/c they like to play in whatever way gives them an advantage. Trent called them cheaters several times, but O. said, I used to play like that too. In checkers, they move forwards or backwards at any time. It's been tough for Trent to not lay down the law!

There are 2 girls who Brianne really likes named Natasha and Viola who are friendly and inquisitive and want to do whatever we are doing. There was 1 boy that came in today who is from a different class. His name is Roman and I really fell for him today. He is 11 and has been there since he was 5! I thought of my own son who is 6 and can't imagine him living without parents. It really touched my heart. He actually reminded me alot of Blake b/c he is cute w/brown hair and eyes with a very expressive face. He doesn't have an overabundance of energy like Blake, but he was very energetic and bopped around the room. He went and looked at himself in the mirror and made a face knowing that we were watching. He had a sense of humor and tried to get our attention a few times. He told us his aunt married an American and lives in Texas, then he went over to a lego helicopter, spun the blades and said, "I am going to fly to Texas". I told him to come see us if he did. I pray that he will make it to Texas someday. He wanted to know if we had a horse, so I am going to take pictures to show him tomorrow. I would like to take him home too, but we certainly don't want to start over at this point and I guess 1 more child is enough for now. Even though he wasn't in Lena's classroom when we left, he must have found out we were leaving b/c he ran to the front door, poked his head out and waved goodbye.
Today, as I was thinking about having to stay here over 2 more weeks and was thinking about missing Blake, I realized how ironic my feelings were when voiced to O. a couple of times the last week. She has a 13 year old daughter whom she has to leave on a regular basis for long periods of time to work w/families in different regions. She is lucky enough to live w/her sister and father who can take care of her, but still she has to leave her daughter. I guess the Lord answered my prayer today to help me get a better attitude. I am grateful indeed for getting to spend every day w/my kids on a regular basis.

1 comment:

  1. Just read your posts for the last couple of days. A LOT has happened. I know you are anxious to be home with Blake and family, but, I have to say that you are giving so much to the beautiful kids that will be staying for awhile longer. Your hearts are so big....like that of your Mom and Dad's and you want to love them all. You three are showing them a picture of a loving family and you are being the hands and feet of Jesus. The days will pass quickly and you will leave precious memories behind for the children there and for yourselves. You are showing Lena's friends what kind of family she will have and you give them HOPE for wonderful families too.
    I look forward each day to what you have posted and feel a warm glow just knowing you are one day closer to being home with Lena.
    Hope each day is spent knowing that you are blessed and that you are doing something GOOD. God Bless You THREE and Lena as your journey takes you to a new day tomorrow. I pray that the time is shortened and that favor continues to pour down from above.

    Much love,
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete