Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Leaving Donetsk

Anyone who reads this post, please e-mail Trent as I cannot access my e-mail right now. We have finalized all the paperwork and will be leaving Donetsk early in the morning! Today, we started early and went to Gorlivka where Lena was born to get a new birthcertificate with her new name. The person who usually issues the certificates for international adoption had recently been fired and the lady who was there was uncomfortable doing it. However, after a couple of hours and a few phone calls, Oksana was able to get it done.

The building was cold and dark in the waiting area so O. had me wait in the car. It was about 10 below (C). I was very cold even in the parked car. Nicolay offered me some coffee and although I don't drink coffee, I accepted hoping it would warm me up! It seemed to heat up the whole car and definitely felt great in my hands. I was pleasantly surprised when I tasted it. It was really good and even sweet. I've always thought coffee tasted bitter, but loved it this time. He also offered me a piece of his cheese and bread sandwich. I said, "no, thank you," but a couple of hours later when O. came back to the car, he offered again and we both accepted a piece. I got the feeling it was rude to refuse twice and he was so kind to offer. When I first arrived in Donetsk, Nicolay was quick to tell me that I needed to change into my warm boots and even got them out of the trunk and brought them to me. We have been well taken care of while here, even spoiled!

Around noon, we went to get a passport back in Donetsk, made some copies and a little more paperwork. We finished up at the market ( the electricity was out in the first market we went too and yesterday it was out in one of the government offices....it's a reoccuring theme here), bought gifts for the Orphanage director and juice & sweets for Lena's classmates. We also ate some lunch at the supermarket, which was good. Of course, stopping to eat for the first time at 4:00 most anything would have tasted good.

At 4:30 we were able to go to the orphanage and have a party with the kids from her class. It was so much fun. I had brought hotwheels cars for the boys which were a big hit. They kept comparing them and holding them up for me to see as I videotaped them. For the girls, I brought lipgloss and for all I had different chocolates from America, glow in the dark necklaces and balloon balls that you can blow up. Everyone loved the necklaces and the balloons were a hit too. Of course, the boys had to blow them up and let them squeal as the air was let out and bang them against each other. Typical boys! I showed them how to rub them against their hair and create static electricity which caused many giggles.

Then we said our goodbyes and took several pictures. Many of them asked me to take more pictures. My, how they have warmed up to me. The goodbyes were tearful with the girls and Lena and several of them teared up as they told me goodbye. I told them I would remember them. I hope we can find families for some of them. They are such good kids and so appreciative. They told me thank you and called me by name and said goodbye many times. I will truly miss them and am glad I had my camera to be able to share their precious faces with others when I get home.

We will leave our apartment at 5:45 tomorrow morning to leave for Kiev by plane. There we will do a medical check-up and go to the US Embassy. Thursday we go back to the Embassy to get the Visa and we might even be able to head home early this time by Friday. Much to my surprise, I found myself looking forward to the trip this time as I departed Austin . Of course, I knew I would be excited to see Lena and the other kids, but I was actually looking forward to just being here as well. It has been a great experience and I have learned much.

Hopefully, I will get the apartment in Kiev tomorrow which has internet access and I can use my own computer. Tonight, we are at an internet cafe because N. said she couldn't find the phone or internet card that we left with her. If I can access with my computer tomorrow, I will load pictures onto the blog. Until then...

1 comment:

  1. Wish I was with you. What a great experience you are having and what wonderful lessons God is teaching you. You are coming home with a gift from God....Lena. You will be leaving a part of yourself with the kids at the orphanage and they will forever be a part of your family's "Faith's Journey". Continued blessings and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete