Saturday, January 31, 2009

Nicolae/food


A funny thing happened on the way to our new apartment in Donetsk the first day here. With the luggage and N., O., and our driver we had to take an extra taxi. Brianne and I stayed w/the luggage and Trent went w/N. and O. and the other driver. I was a little nervous about getting in a separate car from Trent and our 2 English speakers. Nicolae only new a few English words and we had just met him. At one point they turned off and we kept going and I tried to ask Nicolae if he had seen them. We thought we were going to the government offices, but they had decided to go see our new apartment first and see if we liked it. Nicolae turned into a back alley beside some apartments and I was getting a little nervous. No communication and no one I knew in sight and the area didn't look so safe. Thankfully, within a couple of minutes the others arrived and told us where we were. Since then, Nicolae has become very dear to us. He is quick to grab any bags that we have and offered to help Trent up the stairs (about 5 flights) one night after he had turned his ankle. He has given us delicious mandarin oranges and always looks out for us. It's funny now to look back on that day when I was unsure about him and nervous. Today we were arguing about whether or not we would pay for his food (which was only stew, juice and a piece of bread). Finally, the cashier said "Yes or No?" To which I replied yes and he replied no, but finally gave in. Again, God has surrounded us with wonderful people.


It was quite funny to see us toting all our rolling suitcases through the train station and into the car. We "thought" we packed light, but realized it was still too much. Especially when we had to drag all of it up 5 flights of stairs here. I am glad that we brought a few snacks from home and some small gifts though. We also brought donations of toothpaste, floss and toothbrushes that were given through a dental ministry in my mom's church, FBC Hamilton. They filled almost a whole rolling suitcase (the size you can carry on). The director was very appreciative of the gift.


We thought we might lose some weight on this trip, but instead have found several foods that we really like. Of course there are many that repulse us as well. Brianne took a bite of a cresent roll dusted in powdered sugar only to find the surprise of minced figs (I think, although it look like mincemeat and smelled like mold) inside. To which she replied " that is the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted". The Borshch is very good, much like our stew, but w/beets as the base;however, I would never have guessed it. I LOVE Verineeke (need to look up the spelling on that one) which are like pierogies that are boiled or pan fried. The ones I had were stuffed with potatoes and mushrooms. We don't care for most of their bread or bakery items, but had some great rolls w/dinner one night and instead of butter they brought out small dishes of LARD mixed w/garlic and green onion. It was awesome. They top many foods w/sourcream and cheese. Like I said, we are not loosing weight! We walked to the corner store last night b/c Brianne wanted an icecream. It was literally frozen whipped cream sweetened with sugar! We have also had a little chocolate every day.

3 comments:

  1. Love the pictures!!! I feel like I am along on the journey with you. What an amazing journey you are having... I know Blake is anxious for you to be home... and to think that soon you will be home with Lena Nicole. It is so exciting to hear of your daily adventures. You will look back on these days with wonder and joy and remember them always. Brianne I know will have memories that she will cherish always. Continued blessings and prayers are with you.
    Love you,
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures. It is so great to get to hear how y'all are doing.
    katherine

    ReplyDelete